Natural Treatment for Brain Fog & ADD/ADHD
It is very important to note that the symptom of“Brain Fog”has significant similarities to ADD/ADHD. You will see them discussed almost interchangeably. While they have many differences, their overall concept is the same. More importantly, their subsequent treatments are similar. As our chronic Lyme treatment is all-natural, we do not utilize drugs to alleviate your symptoms. We believe Brain Fog is a complex disorder involving multiple brain and body systems and all chronic Lyme treatments must incorporate this viewpoint to give individuals the best chance to succeed.
The stigma for Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADD/ADHD) is very intriguing. There’s been an increase in the diagnosis of these disorders among all individuals especially teens; which poses the question (or debate), “do we all have ADD or do we all not have ADD?” Ultimately, at Lifestyle Healing Institute® it’s become obvious that everyone seems to have ADD tendencies; however, this doesn’t mean all of us has the disorder (more importantly, the large majority of us don’t need medications for ADD). Asking the right question is crucial to establishing a successful chronic Lyme treatment program.
Individuals can have both an Overactive and an Underactive Brain simultaneously because the brain is divided into regions that ultimately function together as one unit.
Our natural chronic Lyme treatment had discerned clear biochemical patterns for Brain Fog and ADD/ADHD allowing us to provide a sustainable long-term solution.
Quantitative Symptoms of ADD/ADHD
- Excess Excitatory Neurotransmitters
- Suppressed Inhibitory (Calming) Neurotransmitters
- Overactive Anterior Cingulate Gyrus (conflict, rational cognitive center of brain)
- Overactive Limbic System (emotional center of brain)
- Extremely Underactive Frontal Lobe (executive center of brain)
- Extremely Underactive Nucleus Accumbens (Pleasure/Reward center of the brain)
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase abnormalities (COMT enzyme)
- Dysregulated Blood Flow – Brain Appears 2-3% Smaller
- Dysregulated Cerebellum
- Suppressed Magnesium
- Suppressed Potassium
- Suppressed Hormones – Especially Sex Hormones – Estradiol, Testosterone among others
Subjective Symptoms of ADD/ADHD
- Poor Sleep – especially deep sleep (rapid eye movement (REM) sleep)
- Cannot Sit Still – Usually Tap Foot Repeatedly and Walk and Talk when on Phone
- Always on the Go
- Extreme Difficulty Falling Asleep – mind races
- Idling at 4000 RPM
- Brain/Body on Two Pages – brain is electrified
- Inability to shut off the brain – mind races
- Easily Frustrated
- Feel Others Move too Slow
- Drawn to Adrenaline Releasing Behavior – Risk Taking Behavior
- Road Rage – Usually Drives Faster Also
- Tendencies to Play Sports in Grade School
- Difficulty Retrieving Information – Hard Time in School
- Self Medication
- Tendencies to use and Abuse Drugs – Especially cocaine, marijuana, cigarettes, and other stimulants (such as Adderall, Vyvanse, etc.) – or any combination
- Addictive Behaviors – Sex, Gambling, Shopping, Eating
- Overreact at Times
- Can Overanalyze Situations
- Easily Frustrated with Others – Annoyance
Natural Treatment for Brain Fog
One important abnormality associated with individuals with ADD tends to be a deficiency in the Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) enzyme which affects dopamine levels in the brain. Any abnormality in this enzyme causes excessive breakdown of dopamine, therefore individuals with this genetic disorder use more dopamine than others unaffected by this condition. We are not capable of changing our genetics, just their expression. This shows us that Brain Fog requires significant testing. We have established a patented natural Lyme treatment to help illuminate the driving forces behind your symptoms and Brain Fog is no different.
This may be the reason why the ADD brain appears 2-3% smaller on a scan than those without ADD. As the brain breaks down too much dopamine, blood flow to the nucleus accumbens and pre-frontal cortex (reward/pleasure center of brain and especially the PFC – temporal lobe) are greatly diminished. When you have Brain Fog or ADD/ADHD, your brain is also not sending enough flow to certain regions thus resulting in your symptom. This results in symptoms!
Individuals attempt to fill this void with different types of dopamine releasing activities, such as eating food which releases dopamine by a threefold increase, indulging in sex which releases dopamine tenfold, and unfortunately abusing drugs like cocaine which releases dopamine by a 100-fold increase.
Other dopamine releasing activities include shopping, gambling, exercise and all drugs; both prescription and non-prescription. Most drugs release large amounts of dopamine; thus, people suffering from ADD or Brain Fog tend to be drawn to drug use and subsequent abuse to treat the symptom in any way they know how. Moreover, the two most overlapping disorders in our country are cigarette smoking and ADD.
This also tell us that Brain Fog symptoms must involve the brain (duh) and pathways such as dopamine. It also tells us that if we can successfully activate and balance these pathways, symptoms of Brain Fog or ADD/ADHD should and do alleviate. This is all part of our natural chronic Lyme treatment. Is it a part of your chronic Lyme treatment?
Cigarettes release dopamine more potently than any other drug including cocaine and heroin (much to your surprise); however, the half-life (time to leave your system) for cigarettes is approximately 90 minutes, while other drugs are much longer.
This Brain Imbalance leads individuals to display annoyance with others, lack of patience, ease of frustration and the inability to retrieve information which causes difficulty with relationships as well as difficulty in school. Many individuals will tap their foot repeatedly when sitting, and usually walk and talk on the phone because sitting poses a formidable challenge.
Moving around is your body’s way of releasing additional blood flow to the brain which helps alleviate that 2-3% difference in brain power. Basically, you have a 400 horsepower engine, yet you’re only able to utilize 250 horsepower; which becomes extremely frustrating and leads to an “always on the go” mentality with a tendency for adrenaline seeking behavior. It is always why, for a symptom like Brain Fog or ADD, increasing blood flow to the brain becomes a vital way to help that symptom.
But what about the hormones, GI health, the adrenals, toxicity, etc? Which came first? Which do you treat first? At Lifestyle Healing Institute® we have designed a natural Lyme treatment that addresses all of these concerns without using a bunch of drugs in the process.